Sunday, November 10, 2019

Single Saviour Prototype

This week we have to create a prototype for our game that we are making in the Unity engine. To do this I am following along with the video tutorials from Jimmy Vegas from previous weeks and using the free assets from his website to build my environment.

For the most part the Unity engine is easy to use and having tutorials that cater to beginners makes it all the easier. However in Jimmys tutorials he is using an older version of the Unity engine than the one I am using so the main problems I am facing with creating my game is the fact the there are a few differences between the two versions. However many of these difference were easily figured out by simply spending a few minutes experimenting with the different aspects of the engine.

My plan for this this prototype is to create the environment for my character to explore, the village and the forest surrounding it. While it is easy to place the trees and houses need for this environment into the game I feel like I would benefited from maybe drawing out how I wanted the environment to look in more detail instead of using trial and error.

Screenshot of my prototype game in Unity 

Screenshot of my prototype game in Unity 

However I have managed to almost completely create the environment for my character and the enemies I plan to add to the game with the exception of the village as the tutorials have only shown how to place a house into the game and have not yet shown how to make the detailed inside of the house that I plan to have my character start in.

Screenshot of my prototype game in Unity 

Originally I had decided to have my game be in first person but after playing around in the environment I had built I think that the game may be better if played in the third person, especially when it comes to fighting the monsters, which I will bring into my game in the coming weeks.

2 comments:

  1. well a good day to you Casper!

    Well well well I am liking the progression that you game world is going along really well to a point that it would make Danny feel all nostalgic for the sense of classic adventure games. I do like the world that you are building and I am very interested to see how it will turn out as you progress throughout your development.

    Cheerio!!!
    -Sam

    (p.s thanks for the comfort from the other day when I was in the period of mourning, it was what I needed at that time)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy Casper,
    I must say, your game is looking really good so far! Your map world looks really good! It looks very vibrant. I'm glad that the Jimmy Vegas videos have been of great help for you. Though I know how it was like using those videos with newer versions of Unity. I also like the lake, it's a nice added touch, adds more life to the world. Good idea deciding to go with a third person perspective over a first person one. Will there be any other terrain elements or buildings added to the game world? I really hope the rest of the development goes well for you and I can't wait to play the game in the future.
    -Nathan Harte

    ReplyDelete