Thursday, September 26, 2019

What I Learned About Growth Mindset


Image displaying fixed and growth mindset from Flickr

Before I had to write up this post I had never heard of Carol Dweck before but now that I have heard her speak on the subject of Growth Mindset I wish I had heard of her sooner.

As someone who is stuck in what Carol would call a fixed mindset, when I am presented with a task that is slightly more challenging then I'm used to I can find it difficult to think about the challenge as a potential for growth during the process instead of a potential for failure at the end. This was something I struggled with especially during school when your entire life revolved around grades, a good grade, a passing grade and a failing grade.

I feel that if during my schooling I had learned about the growth mindset I would have found the transition from primary school, where I was top of my class in English as I loved to read books that had big words, to secondary where I felt I quickly got left behind by all the people who had the growth mindset. Especially when I discovered that I was a hands on learner.

The challenge of learning all these new things in all these new subjects felt daunting and instead of feeling I could learn from the challenge of figuring something out I was scared of not getting a good mark on work and would often think about cheating on my work in order to get good marks. This meant that I learned very little and fell even further behind.

I would like to learn more about Growth Mindset this year and I hope that I cam learn how to get myself out of my fixed mindset and into the growth mindset.

No comments:

Post a Comment