Sunday, October 20, 2019

Game Vision Statement: Single Saviour

Image from Flickr

Introduction
Single Saviour is a first-person fighting game for the PC that uses the Unity engine to place the player  into the role of a young boy in medieval times battling his way through monstrous beast in order to find the source of these creatures and stop them from tormenting his village.

Description
You are a young peasant boy from a small village that has been tormented by monsters for as long as you've lived, tired of seeing the people of your village living in fear you decide to venture out into the woods surrounding your village and find the source of these terrible beasts with the small sword you got from your father and the support of the village members.

Along the way you see and defeat many strange and terrifying creatures, when they are slain you realise you can take their weapons or anything else that they may have from them and use it to your own advantage.Many of their weapons have added strengths to them, such as extra sharpness or poison on the blade. You then use these weapons to defeat even stronger beasts as you advance into the forest, following the path of destruction they left behind, you hope it will lead you to the source of these monsters so that you can stop it and save the village you grew up in.

As you follow this path and slay these creatures you find yourself becoming stronger and you also begin to notice a pattern in the behaviour of the monsters. Some of them seem to be afraid of certain things, you're sure of it, if you can figure out what each monster is afraid of maybe you can use it against them. You figure out that some of the weapons you've gathered seem to harm some of the monsters more than other weapons.

After following the path and making surviving the onslaught of beast it leads you eventually to a large cave in the side of a mountain, you hope that the source of these creatures in the cave and that you have become strong enough to destroy it, whatever it is.

In order to make this game I will be using the Unity engine and because I am still new to this engine I will need to use tutorials to figure out how to create the monsters and the AI for said monsters in the game. Luckily there are many tutorials out there for the Unity engine, on youtube like this one which I found very informative and even on the official Unity website here. Unity also has an assets store that you can download creatures models from but you do have to pay for them and there are tutorials teach you how to create free models. I will also be using the Jimmy Vegas tutorials that I have been writing posts about for the past few weeks in order create the terrain and some of the script.

Key Features
I hope for this game to have:
-Open world exploring
-Multiple monster designs
-One on one combat
-Weapon upgrades
-Level ups

Genre
This game is a 3D adventure, first-person fighting game similar to the game Zelda but a lot more simplified. The game will be set in medieval fantasy times in an alternate reality where monsters exist.

Platform
I think the game and its mechanics would be best suited to the PC platform.

Target Audience 
The target audience for this game would be teenagers from the ages 14 onwards.


3 comments:

  1. Well a very good Day to you Casper!

    After having a very thorough read through of you vision of your game I do say that this game idea is the Bee's Knees in just a very interesting concept in of itself. I was definitely getting some very Legend of Zelda vibes from the reading of this and I think it would help to launch the game out to even a wider of an audience. I think that having different items and weapons that are more stronger to certain Monsters and creatures then others is a real interesting concept and it helps to give a wider sense of Variety in the game itself.

    I do much very much so look forward to seeing how your game turns out and I bet it will be great.

    Cheerio!!!
    -Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Casper,

    I really enjoyed reading more about your game! Knowing that the main character and his village have undergone so many hardships due to these monsters who terrorise them makes me feel rather sympathetic to the character, and it makes me root for him in his journey!

    I'd love to know more about the monsters in this game- are they intelligent? Are they attacking the village are a reason, or is it simply for something like plundering or killing for food? Perhaps the stronger, more higher levelled monsters could give more information plot wise.

    One suggestion I would have for this game is to implement some sort of feature where the player can record what weapons are effective against what enemies- if you're planning on having various weapon types and effectiveness against certain monster types it might get confusing for the player to keep track of the weaknesses. Maybe having a notebook or journal where the player can write down their observations about these could be beneficial to the user experience of the game.

    I'm excited to see how your game develops. It's definitely one I would play since I enjoy this sort of genre (and I'm in love with The Legend of Zelda series too so your game idea really strikes a chord in me).

    - Kay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Casper,

    It feels like you are designing this game just for me. I love the idea, and the way the player progresses through the game is my ideal gameplay. I always loved The Legend of Zelda series, especially getting new items. Figuring out how to use these items to defeat the bosses in each dungeon was the most rewarding experience for me.

    Will the weapons that you can pick up from monsters be randomly generated? Or does the player get them at fixed points during the game?

    One thing I might suggest is adding some small puzzles for an extra element of challenge to the game. Even small things like rearranging blocks to make a pattern, or how to clear a fallen tree to progress.

    Also, there are lots of free assets on the Unity Store. I've just been binge downloading anything I thought might help me make my own game.

    I'm genuinely looking forward to playing this one. Best of luck with it!

    - Ultan

    ReplyDelete